Park Heritage - a War Memorial Park
The land for Marple Memorial Park was given by the Carver and Barlow Families of this Parish in Memory of the men of Marple who fell in the Great War 1914 - 1918 and the laying-out was done by Public Subscription.
The park was formally opened on 22 July 1922 with a Dedication Ceremony and Historical Pageant attended by thousands.
In the centenary years of 2014-2018 Friends of Marple Memorial Park feel it is important to remind people why the park came into being and to commemorate and acknowledge the sacrifices made by these men and the suffering of communities in Marple and across the country 100 years ago.
WWI Timeline Tribute to Men on War Memorial
Friends of Marple Memorial Park are commemorating the 1914-1918 WWI Centenaries with a timeline display in the park that we hope will illustrate the impact of the Great War on the Marple Community (and others like it across the country) and encourage local people to find out more about the Marple Men who sacrificed their lives 100 years ago.
The information on display will also be replicated here on this web site and on Social Media to bring it to the widest audience we can.